Here are some different activities you can assign students to complete at home to practice Spelling Lists.
1. Write each word three times.
2. Write a sentence for each word.
3. Alphabetize the words.
4. Divide the word into syllables.
5. Write an antonym for each word.
6. Write a synonym for each word.
7. Form the plural of each word.
8. Add endings: s, es, er, ed, est.
9. Illustrate each word.
10. Write a letter using all of the words or as many as you can.
11. Write a story using as many of the spelling words as you can.
12. Make a crossword puzzle using all the words.
13. Make a word search using all the words.
14. Add a prefix to each word when appropriate.
15. Type all the spelling words.
16. Make a mini-study book using all the words.
17. Make a flash card for each word.
18. Have the children say the words/or spell the words into a tape recorder and
then listen to themselves.
19. You dictate the words into the tape recorder and your child listens to the
20. They can use their fingers to write the words into a salt box, or on a chalk
board, jelly board, or on a sheet of paper.
21. Take a practice test.
22. Write each word on two index cards and play concentration.
23. Write each word and each definition on two different index cards and play concentration.
24. Write your words in three different colors. Write it once with one color, then choose another color and rewrite the word, finally choose a last color and write it again.
25. Use Scrabble tiles to spell your words.
Used with permission from Ms. Abbott